We've partnered with Pluralsight to bring you even more!
Improve your technical skills with 1,400 Dev / IT courses, included with your Digital-Tutors subscription.
What’s more important than getting a job in the CG or VFX industry? Having a great demo reel to get you that job! Today on DTLabs we’re giving you five tips for making your demo reel the best, better and even better than the best. 1. Only use your best […]
What’s more important than getting a job in the CG or VFX industry? Having a great demo reel to get you that job! Today on DTLabs we’re giving you five tips for making your demo reel the best, better and even better than the best.
1. Only use your best work – as you continue to create work for your demo reel, replace weaker pieces with stronger ones. The presence of weaker pieces brings down the quality of your entire reel, no matter if you have a few great pieces.
2. Put work on your reel that reflects the kind of work you want to do – Targeting your reel as much as possible to the studio you’re applying to increases the relevance of your work. For models, make sure to include wireframes so your topology can be seen.
3. Minimize the impact of project elements outside of your specialty – People looking at a modeling reel shouldn’t be distracted by bad textures.
4. Seek out critiques – You don’t have to take every piece of advice, but don’t be afraid to see your work through outside eyes. Get feedback from fellow students, instructors, artists or other sources like the Digital-Tutors forums.
5. Start and end with your strongest pieces – Grab your audience’s attention and leave them with something to remember you by.
Your demo reel is a compilation of countless hours of dedicated work. Strive to make your best work, don’t get discouraged by criticism and use your demo reel to push you to become a better artist.
And remember you have Digital-Tutors on your side during the demo-reel process. Overcome any obstacles you might encounter and rely on our vast tutorial and training library as a resource during the process.
Find more tips from the jobs page on Pixar.
Students and Educators save 10% with an academic discount.
You must be logged in to post a comment. Create a free demo account and be heard.